Wednesday, May 6, 2015

5 Things You May Not Know About Pedicures.

I am not a pedicure girl. Every time I go to the nail salon my nail artist Hung always tries to talk me into getting one. No doubt hes thinking "$", while I am thinking "No way".  



I have a few reasons why I am opposed to getting Pedicures. 

The first is no one touches my feet, The only person I allow to touch my feet is my daughter. She loves applying nail polish like most little girls and she loves giving foot soaks. I am not really sure where that came from but she asked for a foot bath last year for Christmas. No joke, we had a family movie night and she soaked, scrubbed, lotioned, and painted every pair of female feet in the room. Still this is often hard for me as I am extremely ticklish, but I tough it out for her.

The second reason is foot baths in nail salons are discussing. I mean if you really think about it, the foot bath and all of the foot tools have been used by hundreds of people. I don't care how often they soak and scrub their tools, I am not letting one come near my feet. When I was in Nursing School we discussed surgical tools and the sterilization process for them. Surgical tools are sent to a facility to be boiled and baked in special ovens made for the purpose of sterilization, at extremely high temperatures. If my nail salon is not doing this, then none of their tools are coming near me. 

I know that may sound a little over board, but if you think about it, it makes sense to want that level of cleanliness. Any time you have a pedicure done, you are at risk of getting a laceration from the tools used. Any opening in your skin is a passage way for bacteria to travel into your body. Gross I know, but its true. Do you really want to allow another persons, or over 100 peoples bacteria and entrance into your body? 

This is especially important for diabetics, as they have decreased feeling in their feet, a condition called Neuropathy. If a diabetic developed and opening in their feet, their risk of infection is double a persons without Neuropathy, as they can not feel the wound at all. This often allows the wound to grow and fester until the person discovers it, by this time, often the wound is very big and results in massive tissue destruction.  

Okay now that I got my nursing rant out of the way, lets move on 10 things you may not know about pedicures. 

1. Bacteria often harbors in the pipeing system where the water comes from. There is not cleaning that. So don't get a pedicure unless your salon has "pipe-less" foot baths. Also make sure your salon sanitizes before you began. 



2. To avoid an infection do not shave your legs for at least 2 days before your pedicure. Often you can have small nicks and cuts from shaving that you cannot see with the naked eye. These are another passage way for bacteria. 



3. Never allow the use of a callous scraper. In fact, the use of callous scrapers is illegal in most states. These work by scraping the callouses off of the feet similar to the way a vegetable peeler peels the skin off a potato. These often lead to nicks an cuts to the foots surface. 



4. Bringing your own tools is not safer. Unless you boil, bake, and sanitize after every use. Each time you use them they are exposed to the same bacteria in the bath. 



5. Always dry the areas between your toes. This is the ideal place for bacteria growth. Drying them immediately after your soak will decrease this growth. 





If any of the reasons above have not changed your thinking on pedicures, saving some cash might. My salon charges $55 for one. I wont speak for you all, but I know I can use that money else where. Here is a great video by Womens Health, on how to give your self a pedicure at home: 

 

5 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, I was infected with the herpes virus and I got cured of the herpes virus few months ago after i contacted Dr Ekpiku. I saw a post on the internet after i have seek healing for several years from different doctors in California. I sent the Doctor a request for help, just a few email i followed his instruction and he sent me the medication after i paid him. Now i am negative and i referred him to all my friend who had this same sickness and they have gotten their cure too. You can contact him via his email. Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or Ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com Phone call: +2348073673757. While i was on his medication i understood that he can also cure HERPES, HIV/AIDS, CANCER, Male/female menopause, Miscarriage, Menstruation problems, PREGNANCY PROBLEM, EPILEPSY, GONORRHEA, LASSA FEVER, OBESITY, KIDNEY FAILURE, HYPERTENSION, FIBROID TUMOR and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natural herbs have cured so many illness that drugs and injection cant cure. I''ve seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people lives. i read testimonies online how they were cured of herpes, HIV, diabetics, cancer etc by Dr. Willams herbal medicine, so i decided to contact him because i know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with herpes for the past 9 months but Dr. Willams cured me with his herbs and i referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but they were cured too. Contact Dr. Willams via email on: dr.harrissonwillams@aol.com Whatsap no: +1 (213) 349-2159.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was depressed when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Herpes disease… I thought about my Family, I know my Family will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was searching the internet I found Dr.ezomo contact number. +2349056460552   I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.ezomo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr.ezomo and very happy with my hubby and family. email him on dr.ezomorootandherbals@gmail.com or you can also reach him through WhatsApp number ‪+2349056460552He can also cure so many sickness{1}HIV And AIDS {2}Diabetes{3}Epilepsy {4}Blood Cancer {5}HPV {7}ALS {8}Hepatitis


    ReplyDelete