Sunday, March 29, 2015

DIY: Makeup Brush Cleaning Spray

Today I have another DIY for you. If you use brushes regularly as part of your makeup routine, then you know how much of a pain they can be to clean. I try to clean my brushes once a week, but they take 2 days to dry, because they are very dense.  So, if I have something planned for the weekend then this is what I use to hold me over until I can give them a thorough cleaning. 





What you will need:
  1. Small spray bottle
  2. Distilled or filtered water
  3. Isopropyl Alcohol (Regular rubbing alcohol)
  4. Baby Shampoo/wash

This is an eyeball game. What I mean is that because there are many shapes and sizes to these small spray bottles, I can't give an exact measurement for each product being used. So Just fill your spray bottle up to the same spot with the same product no matter what the size of your spray bottle. I do recommend using a smaller sized one though. 

1. Fill your bottle to where mine is filled with Rubbing Alcohol. It does not have to be exact, just close. 


2. Now fill the bottle up to the shoulders with Distilled or Filtered water. 



3. Take your Baby Shampoo, and fill up the rest of the bottle to the lower neck. 


4. Now place the spray cap back on and then tilt it from side to side gently. This will help the products mix equally. 


5. Now to try it out. I placed a paper towel on my makeup stand and grabbed one of my dirty shadow brushes.  You can see all of the blackish shadow buildup on it. 


6. Next, I just applied a few sprays of the cleaner. You can see the bubbly goodness on the bristles and the brush. 


7.  Then I gently wiped it on the paper towel, until the brush was clean and the eye shadow was gone. 

I am so sorry that in this picture the brush tip is blurry. I did not realize it was not focused until later. I promise though that the brush is clean. You can tell the bristles are brown again. lol



 Okay, once you have cleaned your brush, you are going to need to let it dry again before using. It will only take a couple of hours. Much better then 2 days! I recommend using this after you are finished applying your makeup for the day. That way they will be clean for the next day. 

I really like this cleaner for a few reasons. One is because it does not contain acids like store bought cleaners. That makes this formula really gentle on your brushes as well as your face.  The other reason is because it can really save you in a time crunch. After a week of use I do not like to use my foundation brushes because I feel like the results are not as good, due to the build up of foundation. Using this helps me be able to go a few days longer. Lastly, I love that the alcohol kills any bacteria on them. 

Now with that said, I do not recommend using this as permanent method for cleaning your brushes. After a while germs and dirt get into your brushes. When you rub them on your skin for a prolonged amount of time it can lead to acne. So please do continue to wash your brushes at least once a month. If you need a DIY to make that process easier check out our DIY Brush Cleaning Tray HERE! Its a cheap and easy tutorial. 


Reminder: Please check out our Facebook Giveaway. One lucky person will win 9 awesome products. I can't wait to see who I am sending them too! To check it out click the image below. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment